Beaches swamped with plastic and news of serious oil spills can leave us all questioning what we can do. It is time to be empowered and know that there are ways to help, even from the comfort of our homes! Reflecting on the way we live is a great place to start. Check out these three easy ways you can adapt your lifestyle to live more sustainably.
Take a look at what you throw away each week. Is there a lot of uneaten food that’s gone past its best? Unnecessary single-use plastic packaging? Acknowledge what is there, then ask yourself what aspects of your life at home can you adjust to reduce your waste.
Planning meals can significantly reduce food waste and having a home compost is a great way to dispose of extra food scraps. Additionally, a weekly trip to the fruit and veg store can significantly reduce plastic wrapped food. Zero-waste shops such as the Naked Pantry are a great option to fill up food containers with essential food and non-toxic household cleaning products, comparable with supermarket prices.
Educate yourself on how to dispose of items correctly when you need to. Research the rules of recycling in your local area. Printing off diagrams are a fun way to ensure everyone can follow these rules!
Water is essential for all life. In fact, scientists use water as a clue to detect possible life forms on other planets. Since 71% of the earth is covered in water, why should we conserve this seemingly abundant elixir of life?
In reality, what seems like an infinite supply at the touch of a tap, is actually quite the opposite. CCAO water facts conclude that 97% of earths water is found in the ocean and is too salty to for use by people, agriculture or industry. Of the remaining 3% of fresh water 2.5% is locked away and inaccessible, leaving just 0.5% of earth water available for use.
So, despite the large volume of water on earth, the amount of accessible fresh water remains low. Using less water saves energy, money and the ecosystems that rely upon it.
Use water wisely by following these top tips:
We all suffer from those not so bright moments in life where we forget to switch off the lights. However, if you are a regular offender have you considered both the cost and emissions that this adds up to?
In 2015 the UK lost £9.5bn on wasted energy. This is equivalent to the power generated by 37 nuclear plants! Since the majority of UK energy comes from fossil fuels, using less energy means reducing carbon emissions. In addition, conserving energy will reduce environmental degradation and harm to marine life from activities such as gas and oil exploration.
Here are 6 tips to use less energy at home:
53 millions masks are sent to waste each day in the UK. The question is, how many end up elsewhere? A clean up appeal undertaken by MCS found 1/3 of beaches littered by face masks and gloves… So what happens when masks don’t make it to the bin? Face-masks are made up of a cotton…Read More
Illegal net fishers face fines for several charges within nursery area of Southampton waters. Rules and regulations exist within the industry of fishing to protect fish stocks, manage environmental degradation and ensure a stable food supply remains for future generations. Southern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) encourage and enforce compliance with local policies around…Read More
International concern of a stranded oil tanker has grown after months of talk about the risk of spilling. The Venezuelan oil tanker FSO Nabarima has caused an uprise of environmentalists, activists and those concerned for the marine environment. A social media campaign set out by the non-profit organisation Fishermen and Friends of the sea urged…Read More
One step ahead in protecting the ocean and marine life. Thursday 1 October 2020 saw the ban of plastic straws, stirrers and plastic-stemmed cotton buds. This new enforcement aims to reduce the amount of plastic waste reaching, and thus harming the marine environment. Why is this a big step? Approximately 5,000 items of marine plastic…Read More
Space scientists have warned that 2020 Artic ice has shrunk 958,000 square miles below 1981-2010 average. The Arctic The Artic region reaches the most northern part of our planet. Home to huge stretches of cold tundra, temperatures oscillate between a numbing -43°C – +13°C. The boundary stretches south to encompass parts of Alaska, Canada, Finland,…Read More
The Isle of Wight and surrounding areas heard multiple reports of dolphins last week. Locals enjoyed watching the friendly pod, swimming playfully near the Needles, a stunning and iconic landmark. Dolphin sightings Britain’s waters have seen around 30 different species of whales and dolphins. From the heartwarming harbour porpoise to outstanding orcas. Some species of cetacean…Read More